In 1596, James Burbage purchased part of the old Dominican priory at Blackfriars and converted it into an enclosed playhouse for performances by candlelight.

Whether or not Shakespeare had direct influence in the design is uncertain, but it would have been developed with the presentation of his plays in mind.

Long View of London by Wenceslaus Hollar

This detail from Weceslaus Hollar’s Long View of London, printed in 1647, shows both the second Globe Theatre on Bankside, and, across the Thames, the building that housed Burbage’s Blackfriars playhouse.

View what is on in our playhouse, in 2014, here.